Thursday, June 20, 2013

Italy Update

Hi all! 

I apologize for my lack of posting over the past week or so. I finally have a car that I can drive, so I've been spending as much time away from home as I can. Being able to drive yourself to the commissary and gym is such an amazing feeling. 

Today, I just wanted to update you all on my current status here in Italy. Let you all know how things are going. And to be entirely honest, I hate it with almost every fiber of my being. I honestly cannot wait to be back on U.S. soil in the next few months. I am probably driving my husband crazy because almost every day I ask, "Is there any way we can leave?! I hate it here! What can we do to get out?" He's got a few tricks up his sleeve to hopefully get us out of here sooner than three years, but we will just have to see about that. 
I'm sure you're wondering why I hate being here so much. Where does the list begin? Let's see...

1. You can't just go out to eat whenever you want to because most restaurants do not have set hours and are closed at random days/times. 
2. Nothing is convenient. You can't just get in your car and drive to Target whenever you want to.
3. This country, as is most of Europe, is VERY expensive. 
4. There's no easy way to do things here. To get one thing done (like on post) you have to go through about 12 different departments. 
5.I can't just pick up the phone and call my family whenever I want. 
6. I miss my friends from LA and NC. 
7. I don't have very many options for work, so it makes the days very long and boring. 

I'll stop there because the list can honestly go on for days. 

Husband has a lot of training in the Fall, so I will be going back to the states alone for 3 months or so. I am sad that I won't see him for a pretty long time, but I can't wait to be back in the ole boot. I can't wait to see my friends and my family! I also can't wait to have the convenience of Target and Walmart. 
It's going to suck being without S for so long, but I can do it. I will be so ecstatic to be out of this country I am sure that the time will fly by. He will be missing my 20th birthday, which will be the second birthday he's missed in a row, so that stinks a lot. And because of scheduling with leave and whatnot, we don't get to have a proper Christmas alone together for the second year in a row. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that as long as he is in the Army, I won't get my intimate Christmas with just the two of us and he will p
robably miss the vast majority of birthdays and anniversaries. Meh. What can you do?

Well, this post has now taken a turn to a completely different subject, so I'll stop it right here. 

I'll be back soon with regular postings. 

Have a fantastic day! 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I'm glad you stopped by my blog! I'm sorry you're hating Italy. If it helps, almost everyone hates it for the first six months or so, then it magically gets better. I think I wrote about that, so I'll try to find the link for you. As for the things you hate...I've definitely been there. Here are a few suggestions:

    1. You can't just go out to eat whenever you want to because most restaurants do not have set hours and are closed at random days/times.
    **Take pictures of the times for some restaurants around you. Some are closed on random days, so take note of that, too. That way, when you want to eat you'll know what's open! We've found two places that are opened ALL day, and it was such a relief when we found that!

    2. Nothing is convenient. You can't just get in your car and drive to Target whenever you want to.
    **Unfortunately, this is true. During the day when I've been bored I usually go on base. Check out your library (if you have a kindle you can rent books for free), and start planning some trips!

    3. This country, as is most of Europe, is VERY expensive.
    **Yup. But keep in mind your husband gets COLA to help with the extra expense. Also, you're probably not shopping as much (no random trips to Target, remember!), so you're actually saving more money than you think. Spend it on travel!

    4. There's no easy way to do things here. To get one thing done (like on post) you have to go through about 12 different departments.
    **Unfortunately, it's like that at every base :(

    5.I can't just pick up the phone and call my family whenever I want.
    **YOU CAN!!! I call my family using an app called Tango. I also text people with smartphones using an app called WhatsApp, and I call people using Google voice all the time. It's not the same, but it's very nice. I'm also about to write about another site that people can call you from the states. My mom calls my cell phone all the time and it's ridiculously cheap. Also, if you have an iPhone, texting someone else with an iphone is free :)

    6. I miss my friends from LA and NC.
    **Look into using SpaceA in the future. Free (well, almost free) flights back to America.

    7. I don't have very many options for work, so it makes the days very long and boring.
    **Another one that can't be helped out here, but make the best of it. I threw myself into blogging and hanging out with friends. We'd go to wineries, Nove (you MUST go there), Venice, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I've just found out your blog because I was looking for reviews of a Kiko blush.
    I'm Italian and I'm so sorry to hear that you hate it over here, but I think it's normal: away from home in a different country, different language, different culture, different habits...
    But after a while you'll adjust and be able to enjoy all the good things this country has to offer: different doesn't necessarily means bad!
    I don't want to be intrusive and ask you where you live, but if you want to we can become "internet-friends": if there's something of this mysterious, complicated yet beautiful country that you want to ask me about I'll be more than happy to help!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete